2014 Annual ESGF & UV-CDAT Conference
The 2014 Annual ESGF & UV-CDAT Conference is now open for registration. To register, please go to the following
The conference will be held December 9 – 11 in Livermore, California. The conference committee will be organizing
the draft agenda in the coming weeks, which this year will include the user community.
The UV-CDAT Project
UV-CDAT builds on the following key technologies:
- The Climate Data Analysis Tools (CDAT) framework developed at LLNL for the analysis, visualization, and management of large-scale distributed climate data;
- ParaView: an open-source, multi-platform, parallel-capable visualization tool with recently added capabilities to better support specific needs of the climate-science community;
- VisTrails, an open-source scientific workflow and provenance management system that supports data exploration and visualization;
- VisIt: an open-source, parallel-capable, visual-data exploration and analysis tool that is capable of running on a diverse set of platforms, ranging from laptops to the Department of Energy's largest supercomputers.
These combined tools, along with others such as the R open-source statistical
analysis and plotting software and custom packages (e.g. vtDV3D), form UV-CDAT
and provide a synergistic approach to climate modeling, allowing researchers to
advance scientific visualization of large-scale climate data sets. The UV-CDAT
framework couples powerful software infrastructures through two primary means:
- Tightly coupled integration of the CDAT Core with the VTK/ParaView infrastructure to provide high-performance, parallel-streaming data analysis and visualization of massive climate-data sets (other tighly coupled tools include
VCS, VisTrails, DV3D, and ESMF/ESMP);
- Loosely coupled integration to provide the flexibility of using tools quickly
in the infrastructure such as ViSUS, VisIt, R, and MatLab for data analysis and
visualization as well as to apply customized data analysis applications within
an integrated environment.
Within both paradigms, UV-CDAT will provide data-provenance capture and
mechanisms to support data analysis via the VisTrails infrastructure.